Running Elder Scrolls Online under linux turns out to not be terribly difficult. You can install the game under Crossover though it isn’t listed in the officially support list in my version. The big hangup turns out to be a ca-certificate that needs to be installed in the linux host server. Download the Thawte cert and install it using the following directions.
If you have any issues please let me know.
Downloading the Thawte Certificate
Installing the CA Certificate (perform as root)
- cd /usr/share/ca-certificates
- mkdir custom
- mv [/path/to/Thawte_CS_CA_G2.crt] custom/
- echo “custom/Thawte_CS_CA_G2.crt” >> /etc/ca-certificates.conf
Greyed out Play Button
According to the internet some folks have had an issue where the Play button on the ESO launcher is greyed out and won’t allow them to click it, or turns grey after they try to click it. This didn’t happen to me, but if it happens to you there is a fix:
- cd to your ~/Documents/Elder\ Scrolls\ Online/live directory
- edit (or create) UserSettings.txt
- add (or change) the GraphicsDriver.7 setting to OPENGL, it should be a line that looks like this
- SET GraphicsDriver.7 “OPENGL”